Graduate students in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science (MEMS) work in close collaboration with world-renowned faculty on state-of-the-art, interdisciplinary research programs. The low faculty-to-student ratio provides a close-knit scholarly community while an active Graduate Student Committee provides peer mentorship and support. The graduate curricula are uncommonly flexible whereby the students can define the academic path that best suits their professional goals.
Learn more about our faculty, research, and student projects at the departmental website: http://mems.duke.edu/
- Aerospace Engineering
- Dynamics, Controls & Robotics
- Materials Science & Biomaterials
- Mechanics, Design & Computing
- Thermal Fluids & Energy
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science: PhD Admissions and Enrollment Statistics
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science: PhD Completion Rate Statistics
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science: PhD Time to Degree Statistics
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science: PhD Career Outcomes Statistics
Application Deadlines: Spring: October 3; Fall: December 15
Graduate School Application Requirements
See the Application Instructions page for important details about each Graduate School requirement.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts required with application submission; official transcripts required upon admission
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
- Statement of Purpose: Required (See department guidance below)
- Résumé: Required
- GRE Scores: GRE General (Optional for 2023)
- English Language Exam: TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test required* for applicants whose first language is not English
*test waiver may apply for some applicants
- GPA: Undergraduate GPA calculated on 4.0 scale required
Masters: Providing a recorded video response is required. The video recording platform is available within the online application.
PhD: Providing a recorded video response is optional. For international students, completion of a video can potentially negate the need for a live language interview later on in the application process. If you choose to include a video, the video recording platform is available within the online application.
We strongly encourage you to review additional department-specific application guidance from the program to which you are applying: Departmental Application Guidance (PhD)