IMPORTANT: As of 01/23/2023, The Graduate School is no longer issuing application fee waivers. Eligible applicants are welcome to apply for a fee waiver during the next application cycle, which will begin in August 2023.
The Duke University Graduate School application fee is $95.
Upon submitting your application in our online application management system, you will be prompted to submit your required application fee. In order for your application to be considered for review, the application fee must be submitted prior to your intended program’s application deadline.
The application fee is payable using Visa, Discover, or Mastercard. The application fee is nonrefundable.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER
The Graduate School offers an application fee waiver option to support prospective students from various populations, including those who may be experiencing economic stresses. The fee waiver option is built into the application system for those who are eligible.
To be eligible to request an application fee waiver, you must
a) Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
b) Apply to a degree-granting program
c) Have at least one of the following conditions apply:
- Low-income individual as defined by the US Department of Education
- Veteran or current member of the US Armed Forces
- Participation in any of the following programming opportunities (external or Duke):
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Sciences (GEM)
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Introduction to Diversity in Doctoral Education and Scholarship (IDDEAS)
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Research Fellowship (MMUF)
- Fulbright Scholars
- PhD Project annual conference
- Ronald E. McNair Scholars
- Ralph Bunche Summer Institute
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Next Generation of Scholars in Population Research (NextGenPop)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Women+ of Color Project (W+OCP) Graduate School Workshop Participant
- Duke-Sloan Boot Camp
- Duke Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- Duke Summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU), including TUNL
- Met with Duke staff member(s) at events for the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS) or the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
REQUESTING A WAIVER
The Graduate School is able to offer a limited number of application fee waivers each cycle. As such, fee waiver requests are “first-come, first-serviced.” We strongly encourage you to apply early, regardless of the application deadline for your program.
- You will not be able to view the fee waiver form unless you meet the eligibility requirements stated above.
- Paid application fees will not be refunded.
- Do not submit your application fee until your fee waiver request has been processed and you have received a reply.
Steps for requesting a waiver
- Click the "Apply Now" button on the application instructions page to start your graduate application form.
- Enter your personal background and demographic information.
- Select your intended graduate degree program.
- Complete all questions through the "Community Standard and Certification" section. If you are eligible, the Fee Waiver Request form will display when you click "Continue" at the bottom of this section.
- Fill out the Fee Waiver Request form and click the "Continue" button to submit your request and continue with your application.
Once you have submitted your fee waiver request, you will receive an email within 1-2 business days indicating whether you have been granted a waiver. If you are not granted a fee waiver, you will need to pay the application fee when you submit your application.