The Duke University Graduate School application fee is $95.
Upon submitting your application in our online application management system, you will be prompted to submit your required application fee. In order for your application to be considered for review, the application fee must be submitted prior to your intended program’s application deadline.
The application fee is payable using Visa, Discover, or Mastercard. The application fee is nonrefundable.
APPLICATION FEE WAIVER
The Graduate School offers an application fee waiver option to support prospective students from various populations, including those who may be experiencing economic stresses. The fee waiver option is built into the application system.
To be eligible to request an application fee waiver, you must
a) Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
b) Apply to a degree-granting program
c) Have at least one of the following conditions apply:
- Low-income individual as defined by the US Department of Education
- Veteran or current member of the US Armed Forces
- Participation in any of the following programming opportunities (external or Duke):
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Fulbright Scholars
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Sciences (GEM)
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Introduction to Diversity in Doctoral Education and Scholarship (IDDEAS)
- MARC U*Star Scholar
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Research Fellowship (MMUF)
- National Name Exchange (NNE)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Next Generation of Scholars in Population Research (NextGenPop)
- NIH Post-Bacc program(s)
- PhD Project annual conference
- PREP Scholar at UTMB
- Public Policy & International Affairs (PPIA) Junior Summer Institute (see here and here)
- Ralph Bunche Summer Institute
- Ronald E. McNair Scholars
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Women+ of Color Project (W+OCP) Graduate School Workshop Participant
- Duke-Sloan Boot Camp
- Duke Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- Duke Summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU), including TUNL
- Met with Duke staff member(s) at events for the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS) or the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
If you do not qualify based on the above eligibility requirements, your department of interest may have a limited number of fee waivers available for prospective applicants starting later in the fall semester. You may contact your department of interest directly to inquire about a departmental fee waiver. All other requests will not be approved. If you are granted a departmental fee waiver, then you will enter that single-use code on the “Fee Waiver” page of the application.
REQUESTING A WAIVER
The Graduate School is able to offer a limited number of application fee waivers each cycle. As such, fee waiver requests are “first-come, first-serviced.” We strongly encourage you to apply early, regardless of the application deadline for your program.
- The fee waiver request form will not display until you have selected your program of interest within the application.
- You will not be able to request an application fee waiver unless you meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- Application fees will not be reimbursed if payment has been provided.
- A candidate's eligibility for admission will not be impacted by a request for or receipt of a fee waiver.
- The review process may require up to 5 hours to process fee waiver requests.
Steps for requesting a waiver
- Click the "Apply Now" button on the application instructions page to start your graduate application form.
- Provide your personal background and demographic information.
- Select your intended graduate degree program.
- The Fee Waiver page will appear after clicking "Continue."
- Fill out the Fee Waiver page and click "Continue" to submit your request and proceed with your application.
- Upon submitting your fee waiver request, please allow up to 5 hours for processing of your request and for the system to display a status update. If a fee waiver is not granted, payment of the application fee is required for submission of your application.
Please contact the Graduate School if you have any questions or require further assistance. We are committed to ensuring that the application fee waiver request process is accessible to all qualified individuals.