For more information contact
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
Durham, NC 27708-0086
General InformationDegree offered:
Graduate training leading to a Ph.D. in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience is offered through a unique program that merges social sciences and natural sciences in the study of brain, behavior, and cognition in humans and animals. Program tracts are offered in Clinical Psychology, Cognition/ Cognitive Neuroscience (C/CN), Developmental (DEV), Social Psychology, and Systems and Integrative Neuroscience (SINS).
Graduate School Application Requirements
See the Application Instructions page for important details about each Graduate School requirement.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts required with application submission; official transcripts required upon admission
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
- Statement of Purpose: Required
- Résumé: Required
- GRE Scores:
- GRE General (Optional for 2022)
- For clinical applicants ONLY: If you were not a psychology undergraduate major, it is recommended that you take the GRE subject test. For psychology majors, it is not necessary to take the subject test. No other area within Psychology and Neuroscience requires the subject test.
- English Language Exam: TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test required* for applicants whose first language is not English
*test waiver may apply for some applicants
- GPA: Undergraduate GPA calculated on 4.0 scale required
Department-Specific Application Requirements (submitted through online application)
We strongly encourage you to review additional department-specific application guidance from the program to which you are applying: Departmental Application Guidance