For more information contact
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Philosophy
Durham, NC 27708-0743
Phone: (919) 660-3050
General InformationDegree offered:
The department offers a varied distribution of research in the areas of the history of philosophy; epistemology; metaphysics; philosophy of mind; cognitive science; moral psychology; ethics; political philosophy; Chinese philosophy; philosophy of science; philosophy of biology; philosophy of social science; philosophy of law; philosophy of mathematics; and philosophical logic. Individual programs of study are developed for each student, and a cooperative program is available to the student who wishes to combine work in the Duke Philosophy Department with work in the Philosophy Department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Graduate School Application Requirements
See the Application Instructions page for important details about each Graduate School requirement.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts required with application submission; official transcripts required upon admission
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
- Statement of Purpose: Required
- CV/Résumé: Required
- GRE Scores: GRE General (Optional for 2022)
- English Language Exam: TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test required* for applicants whose first language is not English
*test waiver may apply for some applicants
- GPA: Undergraduate GPA calculated on 4.0 scale required
Department-Specific Application Requirements (submitted through online application)
The submission of a writing sample (limited to fewer than 15 pages) is required. Writing samples should be uploaded to the Departmental Requirements section of the application.
We strongly encourage you to review additional department-specific application guidance from the program to which you are applying: Departmental Application Guidance