The MAT program provides talented college graduates with a challenging program of study within their academic discipline while preparing them for careers as secondary school teachers. Open to students with undergraduate majors in the fields of English, mathematics, social studies, and the sciences, the program combines graduate level work in the teaching field with education courses and a 27-week internship under the direction of highly effective mentor teachers in two local Durham public high schools. The 36-unit program takes one calendar year to complete, beginning during summer session II and ending in late June (summer session I) the following year.
- Master of Arts in Teaching: Master's Admissions and Enrollment Statistics
- Master of Arts in Teaching: Master's Career Outcomes Statistics
Application Deadlines: February 20
The priority application deadline is January 30.
Applications received by February 20, 2024 are guaranteed review. After February 20, 2024, applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis through May 1, 2024.
Graduate School Application Requirements
See the Application Instructions page for important details about each Graduate School requirement.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts required with application submission; official transcripts required upon admission
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
- Statement of Purpose: Required
- Résumé: Required
- GRE Scores: GRE General (Optional)
- English Language Exam: TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test required* for applicants whose first language is not English
*test waiver may apply for some applicants
- GPA: Undergraduate GPA calculated on 4.0 scale required
A personal interview is required in addition to all Graduate School requirements. Durham Teaching Fellowship and Robert Noyce STEM Fellowship applications, available at https://educationprogram.duke.edu/mat-fellowships, should be submitted directly to the MAT program.
We strongly encourage you to review additional department-specific application guidance from the program to which you are applying: Departmental Application Guidance