For more information contact
Assistant Director for Graduate Programs
Duke Global Health Institute
132 Trent Hall
Durham, NC 27708
General InformationDegree offered:
The Duke Global Health Institute offers a Master of Science in Global Health (M.Sc.-G.H.) and an interdisciplinary Certificate in Global Health. The M.Sc.-G.H. is designed to appeal to an array of students, researchers, policy makers, managers, analysts, and clinical practitioners who desire a more complete understanding of the diverse causes of and solutions to health problems from an interdisciplinary global perspective. The following are the primary audiences:
- individuals at any stage of career who wish to pursue a free-standing M.Sc.-G.H.
- Duke medical students who wish to pursue the MSc-GH during the third year of Medical School
- participants in Duke's new GH residency program
The 38-credit curriculum, requiring at least three full-time terms of study, imparts the following:
• An understanding of key global health concepts and challenges
• A solid foundation in core methodologies used in global health research
• Ethics training and considerations applicable across cultures
• Core concepts to help students evaluate and understand health systems
All students will spend at least ten weeks pursing a closely-mentored, field-based global health research project, which will lead to the culminating thesis. Funding to support travel and research expenses is provided.
The Global Health Certificate program addresses the needs of students preparing for careers related to global health by providing students with the interdisciplinary skills and tools both to synthesize current knowledge in new ways as well as to formulate innovative solutions to achieve improvement in the quality of health for underserved populations. The certificate requires completion of three courses, a doctoral seminar, and a field research experience.
Students enrolled in the Duke Graduate School , the Nicholas School of the Environment, the Law School , and the Fuqua School of Business are eligible to receive the certificate.
A dual J.D.-M.S. degree with the Duke Law School is available. Other concurrent degree opportunities may exist. Please contact the program for more information.