Graduate Program in Genetics and Genomics
Box 103855 Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710
The program provides a unified curriculum of study in genetics and genomics leading to the Ph.D. Areas of specialization include population and evolutionary genetics, microbial and viral genetics, human and mammalian genetics, developmental genetics, epigenomics, and plant genetics. This is an interdisciplinary program with faculty drawn from several departments (Biochemistry, Biology, Cell Biology, Chemistry, Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Immunology, Neurobiology, Pathology and Pharmacology and Cancer Biology) as well as from the Institute of Molecular Physiology.
- Genetics and Genomics: PhD Admissions and Enrollment Statistics
- Genetics and Genomics: PhD Completion Rate Statistics
- Genetics and Genomics: PhD Time to Degree Statistics
- Genetics and Genomics: PhD Career Outcomes Statistics
Application Terms Available: Fall
Application Deadline: December 1
Graduate School Application Requirements
See the Application Instructions page for important details about each Graduate School requirement.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts required with application submission; official transcripts required upon admission
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
- Statement of Purpose: Required
- Résumé: Required
- GRE Scores: GRE General (Optional for 2023)
- English Language Exam: TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test required* for applicants whose first language is not English
*test waiver may apply for some applicants
- GPA: Undergraduate GPA calculated on 4.0 scale required
Department-Specific Application Requirements (submitted through online application)
Optional Video Essay: How would a Duke PhD training experience help you achieve your academic and professional goals? Max video length 2 minutes; record externally and provide URL in application.
We strongly encourage you to review additional department-specific application guidance from the program to which you are applying: Departmental Application Guidance