The Duke Graduate School provides a number of resources to help graduate students who have children juggle school and family.
Since 2003, The Graduate School has been offering full-time Ph.D. students subsidies of up to $5,000 per year to help cover the cost of enrolling their child/children at a child-care center or a family child-care home. | More Information
Childbirth and Adoption Accommodations (Parental Leave)
Since 2009, Duke Ph.D. students have been guaranteed a specified amount of time off from full-time graduate studies and duties after the birth or adoption of a child to help them transition to parenthood. | Childbirth and Adoption Accommodation Policy
GradParents Student Group
The GradParents student group is designed to provide additional support, family-friendly events, and networking opportunities for students in The Graduate School who are raising children. The group typically holds one or two off-campus events per semester (such as Disney on Ice or a pumpkin patch) and lunches hosted by The Graduate School.
- Sign up for the GradParents listserv to receive e-mail notifications about events and benefits.
- Join the GradParents Facebook group.
- Got an idea for a GradParents event or activity? Share it with us.
- GradParents Group Staff Liaison: Sondra Ponzi, Senior Program Coordinator, Graduate Student Affairs, (919) 681-1551, email@example.com
- GradParents Group Co-President: Bonnie Helper, Ph.D. Candidate, Nursing, firstname.lastname@example.org