The Duke Graduate School provides a number of resources to help graduate students who have children juggle school and family.
Since 2003, The Graduate School has been offering full-time Ph.D. students subsidies of up to $5,000 per year to help cover the cost of enrolling their child/children at a child-care center or a family child-care home. | More Information
Since 2009, Duke Ph.D. students have been guaranteed a certain amount of time off from full-time graduate studies and duties after the birth or adoption of a child to help them transition to parenthood. | Childbirth and Adoption Accommodation Policy (PDF)
The GradParents student group is designed to provide additional support, family-friendly events, and networking opportunities for students in The Graduate School who are raising children. The group typically holds one or two off-campus events per semester (such as Disney on Ice or a pumpkin patch) and quarterly lunches hosted by The Graduate School.
Sign up for the GradParents listserv to receive e-mail notifications about events and benefits.
You can also join the GradParents Facebook group.
2016-2017 GradParents Events
Upcoming Spring 2017 Events
- Saturday, May 20: Duke Gardens breakfast playdate @ 10am
fall 2016 Events
- GradParents Kick-Off Lunch (Photos) - held Sept. 22nd at The Graduate School
- Finding Time for Work and Family: Insights from Dr. Tovah Klein (Photos) - held October 28th
- Halloween Festivities at The Graduate School (Photos) - held October 31st
- Hill Ridge Farms (Photos) - held Saturday, November 5th
- Eno River State Park (Photos) - held Saturday, March 25th
2015-2016 GradParents Events
- Pool Party (Photos) - held August 13th
- Playdate @ Durham's Oval Park (Photos) - held September 12th
- Lunch @ The Graduate School (Photos) - held October 23rd
- The Graduate School Halloween Event
- GradParents Graditude Lunch - held November 20th
- Family event @ Kidzu (Photos) - held December 5th
- Lunch @ The Graduate School (Photos) - held February 26th
- Durham Bulls - Duke Graduate School Night at The Ballpark (Photos) - held April 9th
Two members of the GradParents group, Alex Bey and Carlos Tavares, participated in The Graduate School's March 2015 live chat about life in Durham for students with families. The chat covered a number of topics, such as good places for family outings, kid-friendly restaurants, and advice on finding child-care options. | Watch the video
We are seeking an additional GradParents Group Co-President - please contact Sondra if you might be interested.
- GradParents Group Co-President, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 academic year: Andrew Heiss, Ph.D. student in public policy, email@example.com
- GradParents Group Co-President, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 academic year: Yael Lazar, Ph.D. student in religous studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
- GradParents Group Staff Liaison: Sondra Ponzi, Senior Program Coordinator, Graduate Student Affairs, (919) 681-1551, email@example.com
Got an idea for a GradParents event or activity? Share it with us.