The Summer Research Fellowship will pay a stipend of $8,250 for the period from June 1 to August 31, plus summer tuition and health fee.
- Applicants are not eligible for this fellowship if they receive other full-time summer funding, whether compensatory or non-service related. Fully funded internships, Dean's Graduate Fellows, NSF GRFP fellows on tenure, research and full-time teaching assistants are not eligible.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be in their third academic year of study (third summer) or beyond during the fellowship term.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program that does not already guarantee 12 months of financial support.
- Art & Art History
- Carolina-Duke German Studies
- Classical Studies
- Computational Media, Arts and Cultures
- Computer Science
- Cultural Anthropology
- Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Environmental Policy
- Evolutionary Anthropology
- Marine Science and Conservation
- Political Science
- Public Policy Studies
- Psychology and Neuroscience
- Romance Studies
- Statistical Science
- Approval from your department (see step 1 below)
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke transcript or DukeHub report (PDF)
- Two letters of recommendation from your DGS and faculty advisor. If your DGS and faculty advisor are the same individual only one letter of recommendation is required.
- A brief description (in PDF format) of research, interests, and why it would be particularly important to be free of service obligations. This should be no more than 3 pages, using 1-inch margins, 1.5 line spacing, and Arial 12-point font. OPTIONAL: You may also include an additional 1-page bibliography.
- Get approval to apply from your department. Before you can submit your applications for this award to The Graduate School, you must first get approval from your director of graduate studies (DGS). Programs differ in how they choose their nominees. Check with your DGS.
- Once you have received approval from your DGS, go to The Graduate School’s fellowship application system to submit your application. | Application instructions (PDF)
The application cycle opens in early October and closes in November. Award recipients will be notified in spring semester. The Graduate School will announce exact dates closer to the start of the cycle, and they will be posted with the award listing on the school’s online application system.
- Duke Graduate School opportunities
- Continuing Student
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Social Sciences
Type of Degrees
- For Travel
- Domestic Travel
- International Travel