First- and second-year students in Ph.D. programs that participate in the guaranteed Summer Research Fellowship program. See the Eligibility section for details.
Beginning in 2014, most Ph.D. students at Duke are guaranteed summer research fellowships for the summers after their first and second academic years of study. In addition to summer tuition and fees, the fellowship awards a summer stipend plus tuition and fee support.
Note: Ph.D. students in the Carolina-Duke Graduate Program in German are eligible for first- and second-year guaranteed summer fellowships, but in the amount listed in the letters of offer received with admission to the program. This is due to the special funding agreement between students in the program and The Graduate School.
- Applicants are not eligible for this fellowship if they receive other full-time summer funding, whether compensatory or non-service related. Fully funded internships, Dean's Graduate Fellows, NSF GRFP fellows on tenure, research and full-time teaching assistants are not eligible.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be completing their first or second academic year of study.
- Applicants must be admitted to and currently enrolled in one of the below Ph.D. programs.
- Art and Art History
- Carolina-Duke Graduate Program in German Studies
- Classical Studies
- Computational Media, Arts & Culture
- Computer Science
- Cultural Anthropology
- Environmental Policy
- Evolutionary Anthropology
- Political Science
- Public Policy
- Romance Studies
- Statistical Science
* - At this time, Ph.D. students in the Nicholas School of the Environment are not eligible for guaranteed summer research fellowships from The Graduate School. Ph.D. students in ecology and environmental policy, which are partially funded by the Nicholas School of the Environment, are eligible.
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke transcript or DukeHub report (PDF)
- A one-page proposal outlining how the summer funding will be used to advance your educational pursuits.
Note: No letters of recommendation are required for the Summer Research Fellowship for First- and Second-Year Ph.D. Students.
Go to The Graduate School’s fellowship application system to submit your application. | Application instructions (PDF)