Beginning in 2014, most Ph.D. students at Duke are guaranteed summer research fellowships for the summers after their first and second academic years of study. In addition to summer tuition and fees, the fellowship awards a summer stipend of $5,500.
Note: Ph.D. students in the Carolina-Duke Graduate Program in German are eligible for first- and second-year guaranteed summer fellowships, but in the amount listed in the letters of offer received with admission to the program. This is due to the special funding agreement between students in the program and The Graduate School.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be completing their first or second academic year of study.
- Students may receive up to $2,200 for the summer from other funding sources. Dean’s Graduate Fellows, NSF GRFP fellows on tenure, and students who will be working as research or teaching assistants during the summer are not eligible.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program that participates in the guaranteed Summer Research Fellowship program. Generally this will exclude departments and programs that already offer 11 or 12 months of summer support.*
- Art and Art History
- Carolina-Duke Graduate Program in German Studies
- Computational Media, Arts & Culture
- Computer Science
- Cultural Anthropology
- Environmental Policy
- Evolutionary Anthropology
- Political Science
- Public Policy
- Romance Studies
* - At this time, Ph.D. students in classical studies and in the Nicholas School of the Environment are not eligible for guaranteed summer research fellowships from The Graduate School. Ph.D. students in ecology and environmental policy, which are partially funded by the Nicholas School of the Environment, are eligible.
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke transcript or ACES report (PDF)
- A one-page proposal outlining how the summer funding will be used to advance your educational pursuits.
Note: No letters of recommendation are required for the Summer Research Fellowship for First- and Second-Year Ph.D. Students.
- Duke Graduate School opportunities
- Continuing Student
- Incoming Student
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Social Sciences
Type of Degrees
- For Travel
- Domestic Travel
- International Travel