Students must apply for this tuition and fee scholarship on a semester basis. Here are the deadlines to apply for the scholarship for upcoming semesters:
- Application period opens May 15 and closes May 31, 2021.
- Applicants must have matriculation date of spring 2016, summer 2016, or fall 2016.
- Final decisions on tuition support for fall 2019 will be communicated to students and their departments by June 15, 2021.
- Application period opens in early October and closes mid-November, during the main fellowship application cycle each Fall semester
- Applicants must have matriculation date of summer 2016, fall 2016 or spring 2017.
- Final decisions on tuition support for spring 2021 will be communicated to students and their departments by November 30, 2021.
As part of Duke’s ongoing commitment to support Ph.D. students, The Graduate School collaborates with Ph.D. programs to provide support for tuition and mandatory fees for students in their sixth year.
Ph.D. students in their sixth year who do not have external or departmental tuition and fee support for fall 2021 and who sought, but did not receive, a scholarship that offers Duke tuition and fee support for fall 2021 or spring 2022 are eligible to apply for the Sixth-Year Tuition and Fee Support Initiative via The Graduate School’s fellowship application platform.
Applicants must submit official documentation from the scholarship office or agency that indicates they applied for and did not receive a scholarship that would provide tuition and fee support for fall 2021 or spring 2022. Application for awards that offer stipend only or conference/research travel support do not qualify. Copies of the denial notification are required as part of the application.
Awarded students will receive a payment to their Bursar accounts to cover tuition and mandatory fees for the AY 21-22 semester for which the scholarships were awarded. This initiative does not include stipend support.
- Applicants for a fall 2021 scholarship must have matriculated in spring 2016, summer 2016, or fall 2016.
- Applicants for a spring 2022 scholarship must have matriculated summer 2016, fall 2016 or spring 2017.
- Applicants are not receiving tuition and fee support from any source for the semester for which they are applying for a tuition and fee scholarship.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must have passed their prelim prior to the semester in which the tuition scholarship will be awarded.
- Applicants must have applied for, and were not awarded, a scholarship that provides tuition and fee support for one or more semesters of AY 21-22.
- Approval from your department (see step 1 below)
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke Transcript from DukeHub (PDF)
- A ONE-page narrative from applicant explaining the need for tuition support, including an explanation of their academic plans for the academic year and a proposed timeline to degree completion (PDF format).
- Attached to the ONE page narrative should be documentation of external tuition and fee funding attempts, which can include copies of email notification, scan of denial letter from sponsor, etc. There is no page limit on this documentation (PDF format).
Note: No letter of recommendation is required.
- Get approval to apply from your department. Check with your DGS.
- Submit your application through The Graduate School’s fellowship application system.
What students are eligible to apply for the Sixth-Year Tuition and Fee Initiative?
Doctoral students who matriculated in spring 2016, summer 2016, or fall 2017 semester are eligible to apply for the Sixth-Year Tuition and Fee Scholarship for fall 2021.
Doctoral students who matriculated in spring 2017, summer 2016, or fall 2016 semester are eligible to apply for the Sixth-Year Tuition and Fee Scholarship for spring 2022.
What kind of documentation regarding previous fellowship applications am I supposed to provide for this scholarship application?
You should provide scans or copies of information on the award(s) to which you applied. The documentation needs to make it clear 1) that the award(s) would have provided Duke tuition and fee support for AY 21-22, and 2) that you did not receive the award.
Such documentation can include a copy of the fellowship description from the sponsor’s website, a copy of the denial notification letter or email, etc. Awards that would not provide tuition and fee support, such as travel awards or stipend only awards, do not qualify.
If I receive the scholarship, how do I get the funding?
A scholarship will be posted to your Bursar account to pay your tuition and mandatory-fees charge for fall 2021 or spring 2021 semester, depending on the semester the scholarship is awarded.
Can I apply for a summer semester tuition scholarship?
No. This scholarship is for the academic year only, i.e., fall and spring semesters.
The application says I have to be in good academic standing. What does that mean?
Please see the Bulletin of the Duke University Graduate School, page 53 for a definition of academic standing for graduate students: https://registrar.duke.edu/sites/default/files/bulletins/graduate/20-21/index.html.
Does this scholarship cover fees or provide a stipend?
The scholarship does not provide a stipend. Starting in fall 2020, this scholarship will cover mandatory fees in addition to tuition for the semester for which it was awarded.
If I receive a scholarship, can I split it and use it to partially cover both fall and spring semesters?
No. If awarded, a tuition and fee scholarship must be applied to the semester for which it was awarded.
If I receive a tuition and fee scholarship for fall semester, but then I receive tuition and fee support from another source, can I bank or defer this tuition scholarship to spring semester?
No, if awarded, a tuition and fee scholarship must be applied only to the semester for which it was awarded and cannot be banked or deferred. You can apply for a spring semester tuition and fee scholarship when that application window opens in AwardSpring.
I don’t qualify for a tuition and fee scholarship, what other funding options do I have?
- Duke Graduate School opportunities
- Continuing Student
- Dissertation Phase
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Social Sciences
Type of Degrees
- Academic Year