Through the generosity of the Myra and William Waldo Boone Endowment, The Graduate School is offering two or three competitive fellowships for Canadian students in the departments within The Graduate School. This support provides an annual stipend (equivalent to The Graduate School-recommended Arts and Sciences nine-month stipend established each year), as well as tuition and mandatory fees. In addition, The Graduate School will pay the health insurance premium for recipients who enroll in the Duke Student Medical Insurance Plan.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens.
- No other award (whether fellowship or service-related) may be held concurrently with this fellowship without special permission from the dean.
- Approval from your department (see step 1 below)
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke transcript or ACES report (PDF)
- Two letters of recommendation from your DGS and faculty advisor. If your DGS and faculty advisor are the same individual only one letter of recommendation is required.
- A brief statement of research and interests (in PDF format) that explains how the award will be used and the need to be free of service obligations. This should be no more than 3 pages, using 1-inch margins, 1.5 line spacing, and Arial 12-point font. OPTIONAL: You may also include an additional 1-page bibliography.
- Get approval to apply from your department. Before you can submit your applications for this award to The Graduate School, you must first get approval from your director of graduate studies (DGS). Programs differ in how they choose their nominees. Check with your DGS.
- Once you have received approval from your DGS, go to The Graduate School’s fellowship application system to submit your application. | Application instructions (PDF)
The application cycle opens in early October and closes in late November. Award recipients will be notified in spring semester. The Graduate School will announce exact dates closer to the start of the cycle, and they will be posted with the award listing on the school’s online application system.
- Duke Graduate School opportunities
- Continuing Student
- Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Social Sciences
Type of Degrees
- Academic Year