Negotiating the Faculty Job Offer for STEM Disciplines
In this session, a panel of faculty members will discuss the negotiation process. Questions include:
- What does a typical start-up package look like? How much can you negotiate it, and how can you provide justification for asking for more?
- How much grant money are you expected to bring if you get hired?
- What are some common pitfalls in the negotiation process?
- Can you negotiate for a position for your partner or spouse? If so, when do you bring it up?
- Allison Ashley-Koch, PhD, Professor, Duke Molecular Physiology Institute; Medicine; and Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
- Nicholas Heaton, PhD, Associate Professor of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Briana Simms, PhD, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University of Cincinnati (former Duke postdoc and 2022 DUPA president)
- John Willis, PhD, Professor of Biology
This event is part of the Academic Job Search Series sponsored by The Graduate School and the Office of Postdoctoral Services.
Professional Development, Academic Job Search Series, Communication, Professionalism and Scholarly Integrity, Self Awareness