Welcome from the Dean
Welcome to Duke University and to The Graduate School. I encourage you to take advantage of Duke’s many social and educational opportunities. Take some time to explore this marvelously diverse place; it will broaden your horizons and provide some balance to your life. All of you, no matter what your major or discipline, will be asked to think in new ways, to be creative, and to participate in a community of scholars that will inevitably open your mind to new ideas. The opportunities, challenges, and fun times that you will find here will lead you through a unique and defining time in your life.
This handbook points you to important information that will help you throughout your graduate career at Duke. We at The Graduate School are here to help you and to provide you with the highest quality education. Do not hesitate to contact us and let us know how we can help.
— Paula D. McClain, Ph.D.
Dean of The Graduate School and Vice Provost for Graduate Education
Use our document finder to quickly locate a Graduate School form, policy, or reference guide.
About The Graduate School
- Role of The Graduate School
- Graduate School Offices and Staff
- Diversity and Inclusion Resources and Efforts
Standards of Conduct
- Standards of Conduct
- Duke University Academic Calendar
- Best Practices: Core Expectations for Graduate Education at Duke University
- PhD Degree Requirements and Regulations
- MA/MS Degree Requirements and Regulations
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Programs and Degrees
- Graduate Student Professional Development
- Professional Development Series
- Emerging Leaders Institute
- Certificate in College Teaching
- Teaching Ideas Workshop Series
- Courses on College Teaching
- Preparing Future Faculty Program
Mentoring and Teaching
- Mentoring Resources
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Mentoring
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching