Academic positions can take many forms depending on the institution. The average day at an R-1 institution is very different compared to a liberal arts college or a community college. In this panel session, faculty from various institutions will discuss their career path, how they prepared to go on the academic job market, and how academic hiring and promotion work. They will also discuss the split between research, teaching, and service, as well as work-life balance. Of special note, each of the panelists is a Duke alum.
– Henrick Dohlman, PhD, Professor and Vice Chair of Biochemistry and Biophysics, UNC-Chapel Hill (PhD ’88, Biochemistry)
– Meghan McIntyre, MA, Instructor of Math & Physics, Wake Tech Community College (MA ’09, Mathematics)
– Nancy Moore, PhD, Teaching Assistant Professor of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, NCSU (MS ’02, Mechanical Engineering)
– Cammey Cole Manning, PhD, Professor & Department Head of Mathematics, Meredith College (BS ’96, Mathematics and Computer
– Nathan Wymer, PhD, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, North Carolina Central University (PhD ’02, Chemistry)
This event is part of the 2015-16 Academic Job Search Series, co-sponsored by The Graduate School's Professional Development Series, the Duke Career Center, and the Office of Postdoctoral Services. Questions about this event? Contact Megan Wilson in the Duke Career Center (email@example.com or 660-1050).
LocationCenter for Sexual and Gender Diversity, Bryan Student Center (next to Duke Chapel) Map
- Professional Development