Want to get the inside scoop on hiring? Wondering what companies are looking for when evaluating PhDs? Join us for a series of short, focused career conversations with Human Resources professionals about the recruiting and hiring practices at their organizations. Our guests on September 23 are from RTI International: Bob Miles, Manager of Talent Acquisition and Programs, and Aaron Turner, Talent Acquisition Manager. RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute whose experts hold degrees in more than 250 scientific, technical, and professional disciplines across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development fields. RTI research areas include healthcare, energy research, education and workforce development, food security, and the environment. The US Agency for International Development accounts for about 35 percent of RTI’s research revenue.
- Can you tell us about your organization, and describe a typical day for a PhD hire?
- What does the hiring process look like at your organization? What areas do you look at from the resume/CV and cover letter?
- Besides being a good researcher, what other skills, experience and/or training are important? (eg, soft skills, certifications such as leadership training, RAC, PMP)
- What can graduate students and postdocs who would like to work at your organization (or explore career opportunities further) do to prepare?
- What is the employment outlook for organizations like RTI, given the COVID crisis? (please note that the answer to this question may be "We don't know yet.")
A link with Zoom meeting details will be sent to confirmed registrants. This event is part of the Alum Zooms Series sponsored by The Graduate School and the Office of Postdoctoral Services. Questions? Contact The Graduate School's professional development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Professional Development
- Professional Adaptability
- Professionalism and Scholarly Integrity
- Careers Beyond Academia