Want to get the inside scoop on hiring? Wondering what companies are looking for when evaluating PhDs? Join us for a series of short, focused career conversations with Human Resources professionals about the recruiting and hiring practices at their organizations. Our guest on September 9 is Jessica Keough, Recruiting and Onboarding Manager with Research Square. Research Square exists to make research publishing faster, fairer, and more useful. Research Square solutions include author services (language editing, formatting, translation, posters, and figure preparation) from American Journal Experts, Video Abstracts to share published research with a broader audience, and new solutions for publishers like editorial checks to help streamline and improve the submission process.
- Can you tell us about your company, and describe a typical day for a PhD hire?
- What does the hiring process look like at your company? What areas do you look at from the resume/CV and cover letter? (for example, are publications important? Do you need to do a postdoc?)
- Besides being a good scientist/researcher, what other skills, experience and/or training are important? (eg, soft skills, certifications such as leadership training, RAC, PMP)
- What can postdocs and students who would like to work in this field (or explore it further) do to prepare?
- What is the employment outlook for this field, given the COVID crisis? (please note that the answer to this question may be "We don't know yet.")
A link with Zoom meeting details will be sent to confirmed registrants. This event is part of the Alum Zooms Series sponsored by The Graduate School and the Office of Postdoctoral Services. Questions? Contact The Graduate School's professional development team at email@example.com.
- Professional Development
- Professional Adaptability
- Professionalism and Scholarly Integrity
- Careers Beyond Academia