Academic positions can take many forms depending on the institution. The average day at an R-1 institution is very different compared to a liberal arts college or a community college. In this panel session, faculty from various institutions will discuss their career path, how they prepared to go on the academic job market, and how academic hiring and promotion work. They will also discuss the split between research, teaching, and service, as well as work-life balance.
- Cammey Cole Manning, PhD (Duke BS ’96), Professor of Mathematics at Meredith College
- Claire Gordy, PhD ’11, Teaching Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences at North Carolina State University
- Wendy Heck Grillo, PhD, Associate Professor of Biology at North Carolina Central University
- Margie Dietz, PhD ’96, Instructor of Software and Web Development at Durham Technical Community College
This event is part of the Academic Job Search Series, co-sponsored by The Graduate School, Duke Career Center, and the Office of Postdoctoral Services. Questions about this event? Contact Dr. Dave McDonald, Associate Director of Graduate Career Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LocationBryan Research Bldg, Room 103 Map and directions
- Professional Development
- Professional Adaptability