Instructional Development for Excellence And Success is an annual workshop series open to Duke graduate students, postdocs, faculty, and staff. Invited speakers in this series will draw upon their experience to address topics relevant to classroom teaching, dealing with students, or faculty life and career paths. You will learn how to:
- recognize the complex dimensions of classroom teaching and faculty life,
- analyze difficult teaching situations and respond creatively,
- improve your teaching skills by drawing upon various resources at Duke,
- plan and design courses with the student perspective in mind, and
- engage in scholarly conversations about college teaching and learning.
- Tuesday, August 18, 20203:00 pm to 4:00 pm
We’ll explore the digital skills needed to carry out a range of your TA responsibilities from managing the virtual classroom to hosting online office hours in Zoom.
- Thursday, August 27, 20203:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Learn how to create and manage a Sakai course site. Demonstration of commonly used Sakai teaching tools, site navigation, and key features of the gradebook and TA grading permissions.
- Tuesday, September 8, 20203:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Learn how to effectively use Zoom breakout rooms and its more advanced features (whiteboard & annotation tools). We’ll demonstrate interactive examples in Zoom to guide the TA through the process of facilitating a live Zoom session.
- Thursday, September 17, 20203:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Learn how to effectively use video in your role as an online TA. We’ll explore options for creating video with a focus on Panopto. Learn how you can use video to record lectures, give students feedback, provide Q&A, and work out problem sets to facilitate learning.
- Tuesday, September 29, 20203:00 pm to 4:00 pm
In the virtual classroom student learning will also take place through meaningful online discussion, including team-based discussions. Learn effective facilitation strategies to reach out, engage and manage virtual discussions using Zoom and Sakai.
- Tuesday, October 20, 20203:00 pm to 4:00 pm
TAs have many tasks associated with wrapping up the term from managing student assignments and communications to using the Sakai gradebook. Our graduate student panel will share how they respond to (and solve!) end-of-semester instructional challenges.