Join The Graduate School for a series of conversations with alumni reflecting on the role that their Duke education played in their careers, facilitated by faculty and current students. These 30-minute virtual conversations focus on six key questions:
- Tell us about your background. What was your path to your current role?
- Can you tell us about your organization and describe a typical day for a Ph.D.-level hire?
- What do you see as the value that doctoral training has added to your professional trajectory?
- Beyond strong research skills, what other skills, experience and/or training are important for success in your field?
- Are there any skills, training, or experiences you wish you’d had in graduate school to prepare you for your current career path?
- What can students who would like to work in this field (or explore it further) do to prepare?
Senior Leadership Insights: A Conversation with Wanda Wallace, Ph.D., Managing Partner, Leadership Forum
Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 3:00 to 3:30 pm
How can you lead when your team knows more than you? And how can you build a truly inclusive culture where your team members can fully leverage their expertise? Wanda Wallace, Ph.D.’85 (Psychology) has devoted her career to encouraging people to get out of their comfort zones and thrive as leaders. Managing Partner of Leadership Forum, as well as a successful author, radio host, and public speaker, Dr. Wallace will share her insights in conversation with Jiayue Liu, Ph.D. candidate in Psychology & Neuroscience, with time for attendee questions.
Senior Leadership Insights: A Conversation with Dennis Gilmore, Ph.D., President, Crosslynk Research Consulting
Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 1:00 to 1:30 pm
How do start-ups move from creating technology to product development? Dennis Gilmore, Ph.D.’78 (Chemistry) has leveraged his expertise in answering that question with companies across the country and around the world, in sectors spanning energy, chemical manufacturing, and nonprofit research. Currently President of Crosslynk Research Consulting, Dr. Gilmore will share his insights in conversation with Dr. Benjamin J. Wiley, Professor of Chemistry, with time for attendee questions.
Recordings of Past Events
Help Us Plan Future Conversations
We welcome suggestions of other Graduate School alumni in leadership roles to be featured in future events.