The Emerging Leaders Institute is an in-depth professional development program for Graduate School students and postdocs, designed to prepare you to perform as competent, confident, and effective leaders at Duke and beyond. The program is offered annually in the spring semester.
In five intensive workshops and an individual coaching session over the course of eight weeks, participants work with a team of experienced leadership facilitators and coaches to develop their communication, self-awareness, professional adaptability, interdisciplinary teamwork, and leadership skills.
ELI participants who complete the program receive:
- experience in project management and interdisciplinary teamwork
- reports from three assessments of their strengths, preferences, and opportunities for growth
- individual professional development coaching
- opportunities to practice and develop their communication skills
- a certificate of completion
- the foundation for a lifelong commitment to professional development.
"This was the first team project I’ve been part of where the journey was more important than the end product."
Asiya Gusa, Ph.D.
"Teamwork at ELI was different than I’ve experienced before in that each team member was invested in uplifting others in their personal growth journey."
"I now realize the incredible power of respecting each person’s point of view and leveraging individual strengths and skill sets to achieve a shared goal."