Open to: PhD students beyond preliminary exams
Credit: 1, credit/no credit
Instructor: John Klingensmith
Offered: Fall. Instructor consent required.
Prerequisites: Advanced graduate status (i.e., near graduation) and completed prelims.
In this course, advanced PhD students will
- identify various types of faculty or administrative careers in higher education,
- locate and interpret position announcements,
- examine steps in the hiring and review process,
- evaluate academic cultures,
- explore alternative career paths in academia, and
- discuss current issues facing higher education.
- preparing application materials for peer review,
- making small-group presentations on a current topic in higher education, and
- interacting with leaders who represent different types of institutions in higher education.
Students in the Certificate in College Teaching program are given priority for this class. Each term, an online form is opened for students to express interest in this and other college teaching courses being offered in the following term, and seats in the courses are distributed based on need and the appropriate fit of the student (year of study, teaching experience, etc.) The online form is typically opened in October (for spring classes) and in April (for fall classes.) Watch for CCT Annoucements emails for these links.