Childcare Subsidy


  • You must be a full-time Ph.D. student at Duke University.
  • The award ends when university affiliation ends or when the student drops below full-time enrollment.
  • In two-parent families, both parents must be in school, working, or seeking work outside the home.
  • The Childcare Subsidy will be awarded a maximum of five years. (Special exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis.)

Childcare Requirements

The subsidized childcare is expected to meet a specific standard of care. This will subsidize your child’s enrollment at a childcare center or a family childcare home. The facility must be rated at the three-, four-, or five-star level by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (check a facility’s star level), or be accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. (In light of current challenges regarding childcare options, The Graduate School is willing to consider special exceptions to the star-rating requirement on a case-by-case basis. Please contact for questions.)


The subsidy will be allocated by The Graduate School according to financial need. Your income will be determined by your gross family income, including any child support payments.

A significant change in family income during the year will affect the subsidy amount. This would occur, for example, when a spouse who formerly did not work starts a new job or a working parent receives a significant salary increase. Parents are required to immediately notify should family income change so that the amount of subsidy can be re-evaluated and adjusted as required.

To Apply

Submit your application electronically to or by mail at

Childcare Subsidy Application, Graduate Student Affairs
Duke University Graduate School
2127 Campus Drive, Box 90070
Durham, NC 27708


  • Completed application form (PDF)
  • Federal income tax statement for the previous year (e.g., the 2016 tax statement if you are applying for the subsidy in 2017). If you are an international student who will not pay taxes, you must submit copies of bank statements and of home-country scholarship or support that they provided to Visa Services). Please white-out social security numbers on tax form(s) if you plan to email your application.
  • Financial aid letter for the current academic year. A letter from a department official, such as the director of graduate study, detailing stipend and fellowship support will serve this purpose.
  • One-page personal statement of need that includes any pertinent special circumstances. Incoming students should describe expected financial circumstances.

Note: On the application form, report family base salaries only, or earnings if self-employed. The amount should exclude any variable compensation such as overtime, bonus, or profit sharing payments. Please be sure to note monies you pay directly for tuition and fees, especially if that money is included in your stipend or fellowship paycheck, in the application. These monies will then not be included by the committee in determining net income.

All financial information reported will be kept confidential.


Office of Graduate Student Affairs

Issued Date

August 1, 2013

Last Revised

July 9, 2024

Last Reviewed

July 9, 2024

Policy types

Financial Support


Financial Support Policy