Ph.D. students who are in chemistry, physics, or an engineering program; who are in their third year or beyond; and who are not receiving other full-time summer funding. See the Eligibility section for details.
The Summer Research Fellowship will pay a stipend of $8,250 for the period from June 1 to August 31, plus summer tuition and health fee.
- Applicants are not eligible for this fellowship if they receive other full-time summer funding, whether compensatory or non-service related. Dean's Graduate Fellows, NSF GRFP fellows on tenure, research and full-time teaching assistants are not eligible.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be in their third academic year of study (third summer) or beyond during the fellowship term.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in one of the below Ph.D. programs that does not already participate in the Summer Research Fellowship program:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Approval from your department (see step 1 below)
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke transcript or DukeHub report (PDF)
- Two letters of recommendation from your DGS and faculty advisor. If your DGS and faculty advisor are the same individual only one letter of recommendation is required.
- A brief description (in PDF format) of research, interests, and why it would be particularly important to be free of service obligations. This should be no more than 3 pages, using 1-inch margins, 1.5 line spacing, and Arial 12-point font. OPTIONAL: You may also include an additional 1-page bibliography.
- Get approval to apply from your department. Before you can submit your applications for this award to The Graduate School, you must first get approval from your director of graduate studies (DGS). Programs differ in how they choose their nominees. Check with your DGS.
- Once you have received approval from your DGS, go to The Graduate School’s fellowship application system to submit your application. | Application instructions (PDF)
The application cycle opens in early October and closes in November, exact dates are found on the main fellowship page. Award recipients will be notified in spring semester.