The Dean’s Research Award for Master’s Students will provide up to $1,000 to fund the purchase of materials and supplies to support research relevant to a master’s student’s degree completion or research/conference travel. The award is not to be used for living expenses, but for direct material support of research and/or professional development for the recipient, and conference/research travel undertaken in accordance with current pandemic-related Duke travel restrictions. Please refer to the Global Travel office for details on the current policies.
The AY 2023-2024 application period will run from September 15 to October 15, 2023 and recipients will be notified by in November early with award disbursement in November 2023. The funds must be spent by May 31, 2024. Recipients of the award must present receipts documenting appropriate use of the award funds.
To be eligible to apply, you must
- Be a current student in one of The Graduate School’s master’s programs
- Be in good academic standing
Note: DKU applicants for this award must be enrolled at the Duke Durham campus during the semester in which the fellowship will be received, as the award is provided through student payroll.
- Complete the application form (PDF) and get it signed by your director of graduate studies to indicate the department’s endorsement of your application for this award.
- Attach a letter of intent that explains what the research award will be used for and how it will support your progress toward completing your master’s degree.
- Submit the completed application and all documentation to your department administrator/director of graduate director assistant (DGSA), who will process and submit to The Graduate School (instructions for DGSAs).
The Dean's Research Award for Master's Students is not available to Ph.D. students pursuing a master's en route to the doctoral degree. See the Find Funding page for Graduate School fellowships for Ph.D. students.