The Brown-Nagin Graduate Fellowship provides funding for Ph.D. students in the humanities and social sciences to attend conferences, join consortia, sponsor student events, or for travel expenses related to their research interest. The fellowship aims to provide opportunities for humanities and social science scholars of color so that these students can develop a strong network of peers who provide academic, professional, and personal advice.
For AY 2018-2019, five (5) $2,000 fellowships will be awarded. Recipients will be expected to provide receipts near the end of the academic year to confirm funds were expended according to the application proposal.
- Applicants must be in a humanities or social sciences Ph.D. program
- Applicants must be in good academic standing
- Applicants must have completed the preliminary exam by the end of the Spring semester before the period covered by the award.
To Apply You Need
- Approval from your department
- Your CV (PDF)
- A copy of your current Duke Transcript from DukeHub (PDF)
- Two letters of recommendation from your DGS and faculty advisor. If your DGS and faculty adviser are the same individual only one letter of recommendation is required.
- Information about any proposed conference or research travel including expected departure and return dates, sites, amount requested, etc.
- A PDF that includes a proposed budget for the funds and their purpose, such as conference or research travel, workshop or seminar creation and implementation, and a brief statement (no more than 3 pages, using 1 inch margins, 1.5 line spacing, and Arial 12-point font) that includes
- Student’s dissertation title or proposed subject
- Description of the research project or conference
- The specific research/conference location or resource to be visited
- Research plans during the term of the award
- The significance of the research/conference trip or seminar/workshop development, or student group support and its contribution to your academic or professional development
The application cycle runs from February 1 through 21, 2018. The DGS and faculty adviser letters should be submitted by February 28, 2018.
Award recipients will be notified in Spring semester.
- Duke Graduate School opportunities
- Continuing Student
- Social Sciences
Type of Degrees
- For Travel
- For Conferences
- Domestic Travel
- International Travel