Graduate Student Orientation will follow the Academic Calendar each year, and will take place on Tuesday of Orientation Week.
Last updated: September 18, 2022
To help new students make the transition to graduate student life at Duke, The Graduate School hosts an orientation week each August to provide a series of activities designed to introduce students to The Graduate School, Duke University, and each other.
Fall 2022 Orientation Week Schedule
TUESDAY, AUGUST 23
- Orientation Information Session: 10:00 a.m. - noon via Zoom. Incoming students are strongly encouraged to attend.
- Graduate Student Resource Fair: 12:30 - 2:00 p.m., at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Concourse (map)
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24
- RCR Forum: Mentoring and Graduate Student Success: A Workshop for Incoming PhD Students (GS716.01): 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm., Holsti Family Assembly Room, Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library (room 153). Registration required: Mentoring Workshop for PhD Students
Join Duke faculty, staff, and senior graduate students in an informal conversation about establishing supportive mentoring relationships and the role of good mentoring in your success as graduate students. Space is limited. Participation in this forum earns 2 RCR credits for graduate students. You will NOT receive credit if you arrive for this event late or leave early. For questions regarding RCR credit, contact Dr. Hugh Crumley, Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate and Professional Student Welcome Reception: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., at Dejoy Family Club, Blue Devil Tower (map)
- Incoming graduate and professional students are invited to a welcome reception hosted by Duke President Vince Price.
- Students will receive their email invitation in early August. Space is limited. Attendees must RSVP.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26
- Welcome/Welcome Back Event at The Graduate School: 3:00 - 5:00 p.m., 2127 Campus Drive map
Join incoming and returning graduate students at The Graduate School for a welcome/welcome back gathering. We will have music, giveaways, games such as inflatable ax throwing, corn hole and snow balls from Pelican's. Registration required: Welcome Event at TGS
Other Orientation-Related Information
- Responsible Conduct of Research Orientations: Mandatory for all incoming Graduate School students. See gradschool.duke.edu/RCRorientation.