Industry Site Visit to Grifols R&D for Ph.D. Students and Postdocs
The multi-institutional site visit program known as Enhancing Local Industry Transitions through Exposure (ELITE) works with leading RTP life-science companies to connect industry researchers with trainees from NIEHS, Duke, UNC, and other local schools.
Grifols is a global pharmaceutical company that specializes in plasma therapies, in vitro diagnostic systems, engineering applications, and medical devices. They develop and manufacture plasma-based medicines to treat a variety of diseases, including hemophilia and primary immunodeficiency.
What will you learn?
- Learn about the 6 R&D departments in the RTP facility: Discovery Research, Process Development and Technology, Bioanalytics, Project Management, Global Product Safety, and Regulatory Strategy.
- Meet with employees from these departments, from the VP of Discovery Research to entry-level PhDs.
- Tour the Grifols laboratories and get a feel for what it’s like to work at a pharmaceutical company.
- Practice your networking skills and build industry relationships.
Space is limited to 7 Duke trainees, so graduate students and postdocs interested in the site visit must apply as described below.
How to Apply: Graduate students and postdocs may apply by emailing a 1-page cover letter to email@example.com by 12:00 pm on Wednesday, September 27. Write the cover letter as if you were applying for a job or internship with this company:
- Why your experience, skills, and/or career goals make you a good fit for the company.
- What makes you stand out as a candidate, using specific examples of academic and research accomplishments and soft skills (eg, leadership, teamwork).
- Show your knowledge of the company's mission and goals, and how you can contribute to their research.
Note that you are NOT applying for an actual job/internship. This is an opportunity for you to practice your cover letter writing skills; applicants will be chosen based on their fit with the company as determined by the cover letter. Applicants will be notified if they have been accepted by 12:00 pm on Wednesday, October 4. If selected, you must attend a 30-minute Zoom prep meeting on Wednesday, October 11 at 11:00 am.
This site visit is open to Ph.D. students and postdocs at Duke, NIEHS, UNC, NC State, Campbell, NCCU and Wake Forest University.
Additional Location Information
Attendees must provide their own transportation and are encouraged to carpool.
Communication, Professional Adaptability, Professional Development, Professionalism and Scholarly Integrity