Here are some general factors to consider when evaluating whether a graduate program is the right fit for you:
- Reputation of the institution and the program
- Faculty’s research interests and accessibility
- Quality of research facilities
- Career paths of the program’s graduates (look for career outcomes data, like these)
- Availability of financial aid
- Geographic location
- Cost of living and the availability of affordable housing
- Social climate and support systems in the department and within the university at large
Tools to Help Your Research
- We have prepared a checklist of things to look for when evaluating graduate programs. Use it to help guide your research and decision.
- Going on a campus visit? Check out a list of questions to ask.
Now that you know what to look for, here are some places to start gathering that information.