The Graduate School requires Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores from applicants to most programs. The following programs offer exceptions to the GRE requirement:
GRE not required:
- Biochemistry (Ph.D.)
- Cell & Molecular Biology (Ph.D.)
- Dance: Embodied Interdisciplinary Praxis (MFA)
- Developmental & Stem Cell Biology (Ph.D.)
- Experimental & Documentary Arts (MFA)
- Graduate Liberal Studies (AM)
- Immunology (Ph.D.)
- Molecular Cancer Biology (Ph.D.)
- Molecular Genetics & Microbiology (Ph.D.)
- Pharmacology (Ph.D.)
Applicants to any of the above programs may submit GRE scores if they feel the scores enhance their application. If you choose to enter self-reported test scores, official test scores will become a required component of your application. NOTE: If you have already requested that your scores be sent to Duke, they will appear in your application even if test scores are optional for that program's application.
Alternate test requirement available:
- Bioethics & Science Policy (MA): Applicants may provide MCAT scores instead.
- Bioethics & Science Policy (JD/MA): Applicants may provide LSAT scores instead.
- Business Administration (Ph.D.): Applicants may provide GMAT scores instead.
- Global Health (MS): Applicants may provide MCAT scores instead.
- Population Health Sciences (MS): Applicants may provide MCAT scores instead.
How to Submit
GRE scores: Ask Educational Testing Service to send an official copy of the scores to The Graduate School. Use institution code 5156. You do not need a department code. If ETS requires a department code, select any one of the department codes listed on its site. Regardless of the department code entered, the scores will come to The Graduate School as long as you use institution code 5156. Be sure to alert us at email@example.com if the name on your application is different from the name on your score report. You do not need to notify us about minor differences in spacing or hyphenation (such as "Juan Carlos" vs. "JuanCarlos" or "Jane Henry Doe" vs. "Jane Henry-Doe").
GMAT scores: Ask Pearson VUE to send the scores directly to The Graduate School. Use institution code Q13-LX-66.
MCAT scores: In the MCAT section of the Additional Academic Information page of the online application, enter the score verification code and the AAMC ID. We will use this information to verify the official scores.
- The scores must not be more than five years old from August 1 of the application year. For example, if you submit your application between August 2019 and January 2020, your score report must be dated August 1, 2014, or later.
- We do not accept expired scores, personal copies of scores, or attested or notarized score reports.
- Some departments require a GRE subject test score. To determine if your department requires a GRE subject test score, see the department listing in the Departments and Programs section of The Graduate School website.
- Be sure to take the GRE in time for official scores to reach The Graduate School by the application deadline. It will take 2-3 business days for your test scores to link to your application after submission.
- If you have taken the GRE more than once, please enter your highest score for each component. If you have not yet taken the GRE, please enter the date you are scheduled to take it.
- We realize that the GRE scores of international students, particularly those whose first language is not English, may be affected by language and cultural differences. This is taken into consideration when applications are evaluated.
Duke does not have an absolute cut-off point for GRE scores when considering applicants, but it may be useful to review the averages and ranges for applicants admitted in recent years (see the Statistics section.) Depending on the department, any one of the three sections of the GRE may be weighted more heavily than the others.
For GRE registration forms and more information on the test, visit the GRE Website or contact:
Educational Testing Service
PO Box 6000
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
(866) 473-4373 (USA) or (609) 771-7670 (outside the US)