If you are an international student and expect that you will need either the I-20 form (for the F-1 student visa) or the DS-2019 form (for the J-1 exchange visitor visa), follow the steps below. You will not be able to enroll at Duke until you have done so.

  1. Accept the offer of admission via your applicant portal.
  2. After your enrollment decision is submitted and processed, the graduate admissions office will e-mail you the user name and password needed to access the Request for Temporary Visa Form, Part II, as well as instructions for how to complete the form. Submit the completed form, along with all required documentation, to the graduate admissions office.
  3. In addition to completing the form, you must provide verification of adequate financial resources to cover the cost of studying at Duke and living in Durham. Instructions for submitting visa documents are printed on the form.

US government regulations require that we retain original documents confirming verification of funds; therefore, any original bank statements or scholarship/award letters will not be returned to a student for any reason (we recommend that you request duplicates of these documents at the time of issuance).

Once all documents are received in good order, the visa eligibility form will be sent to you by the Visa Services Office. Only one form will be issued per student. Any unused form must be returned to The Graduate School’s Admissions Office.

You must have visa documents, a passport, and a visa stamp to enter the U.S. While it may be cheaper to book your travel far in advance, you are taking a big risk. If you do not have a visa stamp, you cannot travel, and you may lose money canceling and rebooking. We strongly recommend that you wait until you have the visa stamp in your passport before you book your travel. 

Important Note for International Students Currently Studying in the US

If you are currently in the United States on a student visa, you must transfer your visa from your current school to Duke. After completing the visa request form and submitting it to the Duke University Graduate School, contact the appropriate office at your school and request that your record be transferred to Duke.