DGS and DGSA Onboarding
The Graduate School holds periodic onboarding sessions to familiarize recently appointed directors of graduate studies (DGSs) and director of graduate studies assistants (DGSAs) with key aspects of their work and Graduate School resources. In the welcome message they receive from The Graduate School, new DGSAs are provided a link to sign up for onboarding workshops. TGS partners with academic deans in other units to offer onboarding and other training to DGSs.
The Graduate School's Office of Financial Aid also offers one-on-one financial support training for new DGSAs to familiarize them with Graduate School policies and train them on how to use the Graduate Student Funding Tool to support their students. The office also provides ongoing training on a variety of financial topics upon request by programs or departments.
Along with gaining access to various administrative systems and communication registries, DGSAs are also invited to a dedicated folder in DukeBox containing other helpful resources, guides, and essential documentation specifically for their role.
- Changes to Tuition Remission Process Effective September 1, 2015 (PDF, Presentation from April 22, 2015, Tuition Remission Forums)
- Graduate School Student Funding Web Application Database
- GSF DGSA User Manual (PDF)
- GSF training video (Recorded June 2020)
- Tuition, Fees, and Stipend Schedule | PDF version
- Committee Approval Form Upload Instructions (PDF)
- Compensatory and Noncompensatory Payments - Ph.D. Students Payroll Training Session
- Conference Travel Form Upload Instructions (PDF)
- DGS Committee Approval Form Instructions (PDF)
- Graduate School Document Upload Instructions (PDF)
- NSF INTERN Information Session (Video, recorded January 21, 2022)
- Ph.D. Health Insurance and Payment Policy Instructions (Video)
- Reappointment Letter Upload Instructions (PDF)
- Running Queries in PeopleSoft (PDF)
- Student Status Changes and Funding Implications (PDF)
- Tuition Remission (Video)
- GSF Student Role Walk Through (Video - NetID access only)
See the Faculty and Staff page for more resources and information.