Graduate School Names 13 Dean's Award Recipients for 2023
The Duke Graduate School has announced the recipients of its 2023 Dean's Awards, which recognize outstanding efforts by graduate students, faculty, and departments/programs in mentoring, teaching, and creating inclusive spaces for graduate education. The recipients will be recognized at an in-person reception on March 30. More details about each recipient will be posted closer to the event.
DEAN'S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN MENTORING
Each faculty award winner receives a $3,000 prize, while each student recipient gets $2,000.
- Leila Bridgeman, Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering & Material Sciences
- Gustavo M. Silva, Assistant Professor in Biology
- Orin Starn, Professor of Cultural Anthropology and History
- Chris Timmins, Professor of Economics and Environmental Sciences
- Bijan Abar, Mechanical Engineering & Material Sciences (Faculty Adviser, Kenneth Gall)
- Erika Chelales, Biomedical Engineering (Faculty Adviser, Nimmi Ramanujam)
- Rebecca Gibson, Molecular Genetics & Microbiology (Faculty Adviser, Priya Kishnani)
- Brandie Quarles, Biology (Faculty Adviser, Kathleen Donohue)
DEAN'S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING
Each winner receives $2,000. This award is for Ph.D. students only.
- Jacqueline Allain, History (Faculty Adviser, Laurent Dubois and Barry Gaspar)
- Julia Bingham, Marine Science & Conservation (Faculty Adviser, Grant Murray)
- Andrea Larson, Carolina Duke Program in German Studies (Faculty Adviser, Sarah Pourciau)
- Catherine Lee, English (Faculty Adviser, Robert Mitchell)
DEAN'S AWARD FOR INCLUSIVE EXCELLENCE IN GRADUATE EDUCATION
Each winning department or program receives $5,000 to be used at its discretion.
Psychology & Neuroscience Anti-Racism Community
Nominators: Zachary Rosenthal, Kevin LaBar and Nancy Zucker