Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching
The Graduate School will make at least one, and up to three, $2,000 awards each Spring to recognize outstanding teaching by an actively enrolled Ph.D. student.
Nominations and Supporting Materials
To apply, any graduate student who is nominated or interested should submit the following to their Director of Graduate Studies by November 16, 2012.
- Letter of nomination from the Department Chair, Program Director, Director of Graduate Studies or Advisor;
- Letter of support from ONE additional faculty member in your department or program, or from a related field, who can speak to your teaching experience and effectiveness;
- Candidate's curriculum vitae;
- Candidate's statement of teaching philosophy (3 pages maximum, double-spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman font)
- Course syllabi for any courses taught, co-taught, or for which you served as a Teaching Assistant
- Copies of original course evaluations, as many as possible, including written student feedback and comments on your teaching (request from your department)
- A brief personal summary (1 page maximum, double-spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman font) of any course evaluation data or feedback (i.e., summary notes on student feedback) to identify positive elements of your teaching and/or areas in which you made teaching improvement.
Submission and Selection Process
The department/program should compile and review all application materials and forward ONE nomination to Dr. John Klingensmith, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, by November 30, 2012. We ask each Department or Program to scan and submit all materials electronically via email (.pdf files preferred) to Dr. Doug James. The Review Committee will make a selection and inform all applicants of their status on or before December 30. The award recipients will be honored at the Graduate School Teaching & Mentoring Awards Reception in the Spring term.
2013 Dean's Awards for Excellence in Teaching Profiles
2012 Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching Profiles
- Shannon McDermott, Genetics and Genomics
- Wendy Dow Piniak, Marine Science & Conservation
- Allison Schmitt, Chemistry
2011 Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching Profiles
2009 Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching Profiles
- Patrick Gallagher, Psychology and Neuroscience
- Karen Gonzalez Rice, Art, Art History and Visual Studies
- Phillip Carter, English
- Kinohi Nishikawa, Program in Literature
- Claire Parker Siburt, Chemistry
COMPLETE LIST of Award Recipients (1998-present)