General Admissions Questions
Please CLICK on any question below to see the answer.
- What is the deadline for submitting an application?
Please read the Deadlines section of our website to determine which deadline applies to your application.
- How much is the application fee?
The application fee is $80.
- What are the minimum GRE and GPA requirements?
There is no specific minimum GRE or GPA requirement; GRE scores and GPAs are considered alongside several other factors during the application review process. Our website contains a Statistics webpage that lists the average GRE scores and GPAs of previously admitted applicants.
- Can I apply to more than one program?
Yes. You will need to create a separate application account and complete a separate application for each program. Standardized test scores need only be reported once, even if you are applying to multiple programs.
- Can the Graduate School mail me an admissions catalog or a brochure about a specific program?
Detailed admissions and program information can be found on our website.
The Graduate School no longer prints admissions catalogs or program brochures.
- What are my chances of being accepted?
All applications are considered competitively, and the quality of the application pool for a given term will significantly impact your chances of being offered admission. The Graduate School has a policy of limited enrollment; in recent years approximately one in five applicants has been offered admission, with the expectation that a third of those offered will actually matriculate. However, in some departments the ratio of applicants to offers of admission can be thirty-five to one, or even higher.
- Can I submit my application before all of my recommendations or official test scores are received?
Yes. You should submit your application as soon as you have completed each section, sent recommendation requests to your recommenders, and requested that ETS send your scores to Duke. After you submit your application, the Graduate Admissions Office can add recommendation letters and official test scores to your application as they are received.
NOTE: While it is fine for recommendations and official test scores to arrive after you submit your application, it is important that we receive them by or before the application deadline.
- Can I mail application materials or supplemental documents?
All application materials should be submitted electronically. Supplemental documents can be uploaded to the Additional Information section of the online application. Please do not mail paper copies of supplemental documents unless we specifically request that you do so. Mailing materials will create duplicate records in your file and delay the processing of your application.
- I applied before and was not admitted. I would like to reapply. Can I reuse application materials from my previous application?
Yes, if your application materials are not more than 1 year old. In the Additional Information section of your new application, please upload a document listing the materials you would like to reuse. The Graduate School will add these materials to your new application, after you submit it. Test scores can also be reused if they have not expired.
- What are some of the most important points for applicants to remember?
• Review the application instructions and requirements carefully before starting the application.
• Take required standardized tests early to ensure that official scores arrive by the application deadline.
• When uploading documents, make sure your documents are legible and no larger than 1500 KB (1.5 MB).
• Submit all application materials electronically. Do not send materials by mail unless we ask that you do so.
• Please do not contact the Graduate School to determine if a decision has been made on your application. You will receive an email from the Graduate School after the decision has been made.
- Whom should I contact if I still have a question?
If you are experiencing a technical problem with the application, click on the Technical Support link available on each page of the online application.
If you have a general admissions question, please use the Admissions Contact Form on the Graduate School's website.