Apply for Admission

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
YouTube Flickr

Duke University Graduate School
2127 Campus Drive
Box 90065
Durham, NC 27708 USA

For comments or suggestions regarding this site, contact the webmaster at


Apply for a Visa

An international student who expects to need either the I-20 form (for the F-1 Student Visa) or the DS-2019 form (for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa) must first accept the offer of admission via the Applicant Self-Service system.  The student must also submit a completed "Request for Temporary Visa Form, Part II" directly to the Graduate School.  A user name and password are required to access the secure web site where the form is located. (This information will be sent by email to each admitted applicant shortly after the enrollment decision is submitted by the applicant and processed.) In addition to completing the form, the student must provide verification of adequate financial resources to cover the cost of studying at Duke and living in Durham.  Instructions for submitting visa application documents are printed on the form and should be carefully read and followed.

U.S. government regulations require that we retain original documents confirming verification of funds; therefore, any original bank statements or scholarship/award letters will not be returned to a student for any reason.  (We recommend that you request duplicates of these documents at the time of issuance.)  Once all documents are received in good order, the visa eligibility form will be sent to you by the Visa Services Office.  Only one form will be issued per student.  Any unused form must be returned to the Graduate School Admissions Office.  Additional information about the visa application process is available from the Visa Services Office and from this instructions document.

Until these steps have been completed, you will be unable to enroll in classes at Duke University Graduate School.

Important Note for International Students Currently Studying in the U.S.:  If you are currently in the United States on a student visa, you must transfer your visa from your current school to Duke.  In addition to completing the visa request form and submitting it to the Duke University Graduate School, you must contact the appropriate office at your school and request that your record be transferred to Duke.